Call for Applications
- Rule Changes Fixed: December 1, 2004
- Deadline of Initial Intention of Participation: December 10, 2004
- Submission of Qualification Material: February 14, 2005
- Notification of Qualification: February 28, 2005
- Open Registration on the Web: March 15, 2005
- Decision on Team Travel Support: March 31, 2005
- Close Registration on the Web: April 20, 2005
Prepared by the RoboCup-2005 Four-legged Robot League Committees:
- Vincent Hugel (Organizing Chair), LRV, France
- Thomas Röfer, Universität Bremen, Germany
- Noriaki Mitsunaga (Local Organizing Chair), ATR, Japan
- Claude Sammut, University of New South Wales, Australia
- Thomas Röfer, Universität Bremen, Germany
- Will Uther, University of New South Wales, Australia
- Michael Quinlan, The University of Newcastle, Australia
- Takeshi Ohashi Kyushu, Institute of Technology, Japan
- Mohan Sridharan, The University of Texas at Austin, USA
- Masahiro Fujita, Sony Corporation, Japan
One of the ultimate dreams in robotics is to create life-like robotics systems, such as humanoid robots and animal-like legged robots. We chose to build a quadruped robot because we believe that quadruped robots have major potential for future robotics, including entertainment applications for personal robots. However, a number of challenges exist before any such robot can be fielded in the real world. Robots have to be reasonably intelligent, maintain a certain level of agility, and be able to engage in some collaborative behaviors. RoboCup is an ideal challenge to foster robotics technologies for small personal and mobile robotics systems. Through the research and competition in this league, we believe technology will be developed that will improve robot performance not only in entertainment but also non-entertainment applications such as rescue robots and other dangerous jobs currently peformed by humans, and that robots will perform these tasks in the future by working together.
RoboCup is an initiative to provide a research platform to integrate Artificial Intelligence and Robotics. RoboCup includes competitions and emphasizes the underlying research through a RoboCup symposium.
This is a call for applications to participate in RoboCup-2005 using the Sony entertainment robots AIBO ERS-7, ERS-7M2 (white only), or ERS-210(A) (black or white; use is not recommended) with OPEN-R SDK. Participation in RoboCup-2005 requires the submission of an application describing the research underlying the team.
The competition results are used in next year’s qualification to participate in Four-Legged Robot League games or technical challenges. Teams are evaluated on their efforts and contribution to RoboCup-2005 in the qualification for 2005 alongside newly applied teams. Then qualified teams are eligible for participation in the next Four-Legged Robot League competition. Rules for 2005 and necessary information will appear on our website as soon as it has been reviewed. The rules from previous years are available at the same site (http://www.tzi.de/4legged).
Those interested in participating are encouraged to acquire further information about RoboCup and about the Sony four-legged robots from the RoboCup web page, http://www.robocup.org, as well as from the technical publications listed below, and the team reports written by the participants in 2004.
Applications need to include:
- Intent to participate
- Application for Qualification – Team Information –
- Technical Report – Clear statement of research interests and results –
- Pointers to relevant publications, if any
- Video submission (putting on your server)
- Travel support commitment for the team participation in RoboCup-2005 (Travel support form available in doc, pdf, and txt)
The applications will be evaluated by the League Technical Committee based on the strength of the qualifications of the team and the proposed approach. The competence demonstrated in local competitions or movie submissions will provide supplementary information for the committee. Please also note the qualification rules.
Applications are to be submitted by email with a maximum of 5 pages to the RoboCup-2005 Sony Four-legged Robot Technical Committee, email@example.com
The deadline for initial intent to participate is December 10, 2004. The final deadline to submit the applications is February 14, 2005. The final decisions will be made on February 28, 2005.
- German OPEN: April 8-10, Paderborn
- American OPEN: May 7-10, 2005, Atlanta
- Japan OPEN: tba
- Australian OPEN: tba
- Hiroaki Kitano, Masahiro Fujita, Stephane Zrehen , and Koji Kageyama, “Sony Legged Robot for RoboCup Challenge”, In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, IEEE, 1998, pp. 2605-2612
- Manuela Veloso, William Uther, Masahiro Fujita, Minoru Asada, and Hiroaki Kitano, “Playing Soccer with Legged Robot”, In Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 1998, pp. 437-442
- The official website for Sony Robot Entertainment. http://www.aibo.com/
- To get Sony Four-Legged robots, AIBO robot, please ask Sony (USA, Japan, Europe, and others).
- Get OPEN-R SDK, Software Development Kit, register now. http://openr.aibo.com/
- Technical Issue or Application contact: ask the Technical Committee
- General questions: firstname.lastname@example.org